Friday, April 16, 2010

Southwest Corn Muffins

I hope Catherine McCord from www.weelicious.com is flattered and not annoyed that I always post her recipes, but I use them a lot and they are so good! I want to put them on my blog so I remember my favorites and can share with friends what we have tried, tested and approved!

Muffins are so easy to make and even easier to grab for a snack on the go. I made a few adjustments to this recipe to include a little less fat (cheese) and more protein, (black beans) but still plenty of flavor. They are super moist, slightly salty and delicious!

Southwest Corn Muffins
Recipe adapted by www.weelicious.com
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 Egg
5 Tbsp Butter, melted and cooled
2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar
3/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
1/2 Cup Frozen Corn Kernels, thawed (I used frozen roasted corn kernels)
1/4 Cup Black Beans, drained and rinsed.
2 oz Diced Pimentos or mild green chilies, drained (about 2 tbsp)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg and whisk to combine.
4. Add the butter and agave to the buttermilk and egg mixture and whisk thoroughly.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients incorporating a little at a time until thoroughly combined (make sure not to over-mix the batter).
6. Stir in the cheddar cheese, corn kernels, beans and pimentos or chilies.
7. Pour into greased or lined muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Cool on a rack and serve. Owen couldn't wait to get his hot little hands on these as soon as they came out of the oven!


No comments:

Post a Comment