Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lemon-Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

I have been on a pancake kick lately. I used to make eggs all the time, but other than the awesome breakfast burritos I made yesterday (looking for something spicy to induce labor), eggs just haven't done it for me. In fact, the thought of them just makes me a little nauseous. I had some fresh lemons and berries I got yesterday from a great farm just north of here in Avila Beach, so lemon-blueberry pancakes won this morning. They turned out really good and everyone had seconds, I will be making these again. It was a good way to start the sunny warm day we woke up to!

Lemon-Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Recipe from www.deestroyer.blogspot.com

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup egg substitute (I used 2 egg whites)
2 cups buttermilk
2 T. canola oil
3 T. light pancake syrup
1 t. vanilla extract
1 T. grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups small blueberries

1. In a medium bowl, place the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Blend with a whisk.
2. In a mixing bowl, place the egg, egg substitute, buttermilk, oil, syrup, vanilla and lemon zest. whisk until smooth.
3. Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Do not over mix. Let batter rest for 10 minutes.
4. Preheat nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat until a drop of water skittles across it.
5. Pour the batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto the hot griddle. Sprinkle blueberries on top of each pancake. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form on pancakes. Turn over with spatula and cook until the pancakes are golden brown. Serve with syrup if desired.

Recipe serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment