Sunday, November 15, 2009

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


When I was a freshman in college, I lived about 7 hours away from "home." So, my Mom would often send me care packages of my hometown newspaper clippings, sweet letters, and almost always, homemade cookies! My friends would "happen" to drop by when they saw me bringing a box back to my dorm room, knowing that Mom's cookies would be looming! Although they were all good, I think the favorite was Oatmeal, peanut butter and chocolate chip. You can't go wrong with three of America's favorite cookies all rolled into one, right?
I have been thinking about these cookies lately, so, I found a wonderful recipe with more whole grains and a bit less sugar, but you would never guess. They are just as good as Mom used to make!

Whenever I pull out my large white mixing bowl, Owen either says "pancakes!", or "waffles!" or "cookies!" and he likes to mix, mix, mix. He is my little "helper" in the kitchen. He often creates more of a mess than helps, but he sure does have fun doing it!

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies;
Recipe by, Stephanie Gallagher
1/2 Cup all purpose flour
3/4 Cup whole wheat flour
1 Cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup butter (room temperature)
1/3 Cup Peanut Butter
1/4 Cup Buttermilk
1/3 cup chocolate Chips
1/3 cup raisins (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the first five ingredients. In a larger bowl, beat the remaining ingredients (except for the chocolate chips and raisins) with an electric mixer. Stir in flour mixture until a dough forms. Add chocolate chips and raisins.
Roll dough into walnut sized balls and place 2 inches apart. Press down using the back of a fork in a criss cross pattern. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment