Monday, November 23, 2009

Chicken Cacciatore

To my meat eating readers, here is my solo chicken recipe! I had made a friend's Cacciatore slow cooker recipe a while back (www.yummymummyfood.blogspot.com) and really enjoyed it, but tonight I didn't have time for a crock pot. So I looked up the regular recipe and thought I couldn't go wrong with Giada! I rarely cook chicken, and when I do, I always seem to overcook it (partly why you don't see more chicken recipes on my blog, I can ruin even the best of recipes by overcooking it). Tonight, however, it was perfect. Adam took one bite and said, "you have to put this on the blog!" I wasn't planning on blogging tonight, so I forgot to take a picture until it was too late. Sorry, next time I make it, I will add one : )

The best part is that we only used 2 chicken breasts an had a TON of sauce left over, so I am debating on putting it on a homemade pizza for tomorrow's dinner, using it as a simple pasta sauce, or adding to vegetarian chili. Either way, the sauce was really good and I am sure will be even better tomorrow in a new creation.

Chicken Cacciatore
Recipe by Giada De Laurentiis

4 Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup flour
3 Tb. olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, chopped (I used frozen red and yellow chopped peppers from T.J's)
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes with juice
3/4 cup Chicken broth
3 Tb. capers, drained
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves

Sprinkle each chicken breast with salt and pepper. Dredge lightly in flour.

Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat. Brown chicken for about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and set aside. In the same pan, add the bell pepper, onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes until the onions are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add wine and simmer for about 3 minutes until it has been reduced by about half. Add the tomatoes with juice, broth, capers and oregano. Return the chicken to the pan and coat them with the sauce. Simmer on medium low heat for about 20 minutes until chicken has been cooked all the way through.

Transfer the chicken to a platter. If necessary, boil the sauce until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Spoon sauce on top of chicken and garnish with chopped fresh basil. I served this tonight with a simple salad and garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment