Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe

I overlooked my other chili recipe on here the other day and tried a new one. I am so glad I did, because this is the BEST chili I have ever made!!

Vegetarian Chili
Recipe by Robin Miller

1 can 28 oz. chopped tomatoes
4 Cups vegetable broth
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chopped onion
1 diced red pepper
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
2 Tb. chili powder (I used 1/2 chipotle chili powder and half regular)
2 Tb. Mexican oregano or regular dried
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/3 cup cous cous
1/2 cup Monterrey jack, cheddar, or Parmesan cheese, grated
1/3 cup cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)

Directions
In a crock pot, combine all ingredients except everything listed below the hot sauce. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or High for 3-4 hours.

10 minutes before serving, add cous cous and let cook until cous cous is tender. Season to taste (I didn't think it needed any salt or pepper). Just before serving, top with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and sprinkle with cilantro.

So easy, healthy and DELICIOUS!

*Note, it was the perfect amount of spice for Adam and I, however I think I will reduce the hot sauce and chili powder for Owen's taste buds next time. I think with enough yogurt mixed in, he would be fine. I'll test the left overs on him tomorrow : )

No comments:

Post a Comment