Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hummus

One of Owen's all time favorite foods is hummus. He often asks for it at restaurants, and we usually get a chuckle from the wait staff, as most 2 year olds are asking for chicken fingers and french fries.

What's great about hummus is that it is full of protein and fiber and it makes a nice snack to refuel my non-stop action child! This is something that literally takes minutes to prepare and is much cheaper and fresher to make at home than buying it at the store. It's so versatile as well. I have made this recipe many different ways. Some of my favorite things to add to the puree is either a few kalamata olives, or 1/2 a roasted red pepper, 2 Tb. sun dried tomatoes, or 3 Tb. of chopped cilantro or basil.

Jamie Oliver is one of my favorite chefs. The man knows how to create good food. Most of his recipes are simple (which is right up my ally) and full of flavor. I discovered that his recipe for hummus (or as his cute English way of writing it "humous") is simply the best I have found yet. It comes out perfect every time. So, after years of making this, I am sharing his recipe with you!

Humous

Recipe adapted from: Jamie Oliver, The Naked Chef

1 12oz. can of chickpeas
1 small dried red chili (since I make this for Owen I omit this part or add very little cayenne)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1 1/2 Tb. tahini (sesame seed paste, sold everywhere)
4 Tb. extra virgin olive oil
lemon juice to taste (approx. 2 Tb)
1 Tb. fresh parsley, basil or thyme

Rinse and drain the beans. In a food processor, finely chop the garlic, then add the chickpeas, chili, cumin and tahini and pulse until smooth. Add the salt, pepper, oil, lemon juice and fresh herbs to taste. Add a bit of water if you like yours a little thinner. Chill for at least 1 hour and serve. Have fun with the recipe and let me know if you come up with another delicious twist to add to yours!
Serve as a spread on a sandwich, or with crudites, pita triangles, or crackers, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment