Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mamma's Island Oatmeal

I was never a big fan of oatmeal growing up. I learned to love it as I got older, and we have it several times a week for breakfast now. It's a great way to start your day and I love that you can make it so many different ways. Recently I made rice pudding with coconut milk and cardamom and really liked it. So, this morning I thought, why not try that with oats? So glad I did! It's warm creamy and delicious! Everyone in the family loved it! : ) Here is my recipe.

Mamma's Island Oatmeal
1 Cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 Cup water
3/4 Cup light coconut milk
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 Cup raisins
1/8 Cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup bananas and or mangoes, diced in large chunks (optional)
honey or agave nectar to taste (optional)

In a medium sauce pan, place oats, water, coconut milk, spices and raisins. Put on medium heat and stir occasionally until it's at your desired consistency, about 5 minutes or so. When done, serve in individual bowls and top with almonds, fresh fruit and honey or agave nectar and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment