Monday, May 10, 2010

Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast

French toast is always good, but STUFFED French toast is even better! I had some sprouted whole grain bread in the fridge that needed to be used, and this is my favorite way of using it up. Once again, my Nourish cookbook didn't disappoint! The beauty of this recipe is there are so many different variations of this dish. I've got lots of ideas in my head of what I am going to do next. I am thinking coconut milk batter for the bread, and some banana and pineapple filling possibly? Or maybe peanut butter and banana filling. Hmmmmm.

Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast
Recipe adapted from Canyon Ranch Nourish Cookbook
1/4 cup low fat cream cheese
6 slices multi grain bread
1 cup fresh berries (or thawed frozen berries if you don't have fresh on hand)
1/2 banana sliced thinly
1/2 cup non fat milk
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
canola oil spray
Maple syrup to taste

With a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese in a small bowl until softened. Evenly spread 1 Tb. of cream cheese on 1 slice of bread. Top the cream cheese with 1/4 cup of berries and a few slices of banana to cover. Top with the second slice of bread to form a sandwich. Repeat with remaining ingredients. (I actually used a bit more cream cheese than the recipe suggests. I put some on each piece of the bread)

Beat together the milk, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla in a wide, shallow bowl. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, coating both sides.

Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and lightly coat with canola oil spray. Cook each sandwich until golden on both sides.

Serve with maple syrup.

Serves 3

1 comment:

  1. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete