Friday, May 7, 2010

Quinoa and Chickpeas

It's time to hit the farmer's market tomorrow. I looked in my fridge tonight for dinner and remembered I had to use up some canned tomatoes from a recipe I used the other day. We still needed protein, carbs, and veggies however. So, I pulled out some quinoa, added water, tomatoes, spices and then got online to look up recipes to see what else I could add. As much as I love to cook, I am always a little frightened by what I come up with on my own. I am much more comfortable using a tried and true recipe from someone else. (Unless it's something sweet, simple, or a salad of some sort). Most of these ingredients you can find in your pantry or freezer without having to go to the store.

I found several recipes that were very similar in their ingredients and were exactly what I was thinking, and actually had on hand! I have to say this turned out really good and Owen ate every last bite, repeating the words, "good dinner Mommy" over and over again :) My stamp of approval has been won! I served it along with some steamed green beans tossed with lemon zest, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil. Owen gobbled those up as well!

Quinoa and Chickpeas
Recipe adapted from several sources, including www.weelicious.com and allrecipes.com
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 cup canned chopped tomatoes (or fresh if you have them)
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 Tb. grape seed oil
1/2 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
1 cup rinsed and drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 clove of garlic, minced
juice of one small lime
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tb. chopped fresh parsley (cilantro would be good too)

Rinse and soak quinoa for 15 minutes to help remove any bitter taste. Bring water, canned tomatoes (if you are using fresh tomatoes, don't cook them, just add them at the end instead), cumin and quinoa to a boil. Place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to a simmer for 15 minutes until done. Stir in grape seed oil, corn, garlic, lime juice, parsley and salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy. This dish will probably taste good cold as well. I'll find out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment