Lemon Risotto with Leeks, Peas and Tarragon
Recipe Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
4-5 cups low sodium chicken stock
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 cups finely chopped leeks (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup chopped shallot (about 3 small)
1 cup arborio rice
3 T dry white wine
1 cup frozen peas, thawed (or fresh, blanched)
1 cup frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
1 tsp lemon zest
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T freshly chopped tarragon
1 T butter (I only put in about a teaspoon and didn't think it was necessary)
- Bring chicken stock to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add leek and shallots to pan and cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add rice and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add wine and cook 30 seconds or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup stock. Cook 4 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes total).
- Stir in peas and cook 1 minute. Stir in cheese, zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in tarragon and butter.