Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Portobello "Philly Cheese Steaks"

I have had this recipe staring at me for quite a while now. I saw it pop up on my computer today and I thought that it was about time I finally made these. So glad I did! My boys loved them and so did I. I didn't have large portobellos on hand, so I used baby portobellos instead. I am sure any mushroom would work here. I served it with home made spicy oven fries and a side salad. I am stuffed thinking about it all.

Portobello Philly Cheese Steaks
Recipe slightly adapted by Eating Well Magazine

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, sliced
3-4 cups fresh spinach
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
4 whole-wheat buns, split and toasted

Preparation
1.Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, spinach, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, about 7 minutes.

2.Reduce heat to low; sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, lay cheese slices on top of the vegetables, cover and let stand until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.

3.Divide the mixture into 4 portions with a spatula, leaving the melted cheese layer on top. Scoop a portion onto each toasted bun and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment