Tuesday, August 25, 2009

4 B's Pancakes


I bought a quart of buttermilk just for this recipe yesterday. This is an easy and healthy (you know me) pancake recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks (thanks Lauren); Passionate Vegetarian, by Crescent Dragonwgon. Yes you read it right, the author's name is Crescent Dragonwagon, odd name, I know. This cookbook is 1068 pages long (NOT including the index) and does not contain one picture! I have made quite a few recipes from here, and have barely scratched the surface of the meals I will be attempting to make in the many years of cooking I have ahead of me. I have yet to make a meal I didn't like from this cookbook. If you have one lonely old banana that you need to find a use for, this is the recipe for you! One banana isn't quite enough to make banana bread (which I make often), but it's perfect for banana pancakes!

Banana Blueberry Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes

1/3 cup unbleached white all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg
2 Tb. vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 very ripe banana well mashed
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

In a medium bowl, combined all three flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, buttermilk and banana. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until blended.

Heat a cast iron griddle or heavy non stick skillet over medium heat. When it's hot give it a spritz of cooking spray. Drop the batter by 1/4 cupfuls leaving plenty of space between. Flip the cakes when bubbles appear and pop on the top surface. Allow half as much time for side two to cook. Turn the heat down slightly after the first batch is done.

Serves 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment