Saturday, August 15, 2009

Whole Grain Waffles


I got the baking bug this morning. On top of the cinnamon rolls, I thought Owen was due for another batch of whole grain "wa wa's." He loves them and it's a good way to start his day. I usually top them with either peanut butter or plain organic yogurt and fruit instead of the traditional syrup. What's nice about this recipe is they make quite a few so you can freeze them and have them whenever you want, just pop them in the toaster when you are ready!


Also, I have to thank my mother in law Anna for the heart shaped waffle iron she sent us for Christmas after Adam and I got engaged 4 years ago. It makes each waffle come out looking like the love that was put into the batter!


The recipe was adapted from Moosewood New Classics Cookbook.


Whole Grain Waffles


dry ingredients

1 1/4 C unbleached white flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 Tb sugar
1 Tb baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 C. ground flax seeds
*1/4 C. cornmeal


*I was out of cornmeal, so I substituted 1/8 cup buckwheat flour and 1/8 cup wheat germ to keep it healthy and still yummy.

wet ingredients
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 TB vegetable oil


In a large bowl, sift the first six dry ingredients together and then add the flax seeds and cornmeal and mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients and pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. and stir just enough to combine. Let batter sit for 10 minutes before baking.

Preheat waffle iron.

Use 1/3 cup of batter for each waffle.

No comments:

Post a Comment