Monday, September 7, 2009

Lemon Poppyseed Blueberry Muffins

I still had some lemons to use from Suzanne's awesome lemon tree. I was on the hunt for a good recipe using these yellow jems. Most of the ones I was drawn to were heavy lemon cakes loaded with white sugar, not something that I want going to Owen, OR on my hips I might add.

Once again, I found another great recipe from Weelicious! A nutrient packed muffin with NO white sugar! They have just the right amount of sweetness and the poppy seeds are chock full of calcium. (They also contain, protein, potassium, magnesium and phosphorous). The lemons add their share of vitamin C and the blueberries are an excellent antioxidant. This is one muffin I am happy to share with my growing boy.

Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour

1/2 Cup buckwheat flour

1 Cup All Purpose Flour

2 Tsp Baking Powder

1/2 Tsp Baking Soda

1/2 tsp Salt

1/2 Cup Butter, melted

2 Eggs, beaten

1/2 Cup Agave Nectar

3/4 Cup Rice, Almond, Low fat or Whole Milk

1/4 Cup Lemon Juice, with pulp

3 Tbsp Poppy Seeds

1/2 cup blueberries

2 Tsp Lemon Zest

*I only had 1/4 cup agave nectar left, so I used 1/4 cup honey to make up for it. It turned out great. Maple syrup would probably work well also.

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Grease a muffin tin or line tins with cupcake papers.

3. Sift the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to mix.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, agave nectar, milk, and lemon juice, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.

5. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until the batter is smooth making sure not to over mix.

6. Gently fold in the blueberries.

7. Pour the batter into 12 muffin cups, dividing evenly. Bake on a center rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment