Thursday, September 3, 2009

Summery Zucchini-Lemon Soup

On Tuesday I received garden fresh summer squash and lemons from our friends, Suzanne and Andrew. So many things to do with both of these ingredients, it took me a bit to decide what to make. I tried making lemon chicken yesterday...not so good. I am better with vegetables. I remembered making this zucchini-lemon soup as a first course for some friends a few months ago, and it was good enough to make again. It's so easy and light with great flavors. Perfect for a hot summer night when chilled as well.
This recipe came from an awesome cookbook I got for my birthday this year from my mother-in-law, Anna. The Santa Monica Farmers' Market Cookbook. I have made quite a few yummy meals from this book.
Summery Zucchini-Lemon Soup

2 lbs. summer squash cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
1 onion chopped
1 Tb. chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
kosher or sea salt to taste
1 Tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 TB canola or other mild cooking oil
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 lemon
snipped fresh chives for garnish
*See note

In a deep wide pot, saute the squash, onion, cilantro, 1/2 tsp salt, curry powder and turmeric in the oil over medium heat until the vegetables are golden, tender and fragrant, 7-10 mins. Add 2 cups of the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups of stock and continue to cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 5 more minutes.

Puree the soup with an immersion or stand blender. Add the juice of one lemon. Taste and add more lemon or salt as needed until the soup has a refreshing tang. Serve hot, or chill well and serve cold. Garnish each serving with chives and or cilantro.

*I actually omitted the curry powder and used less turmeric. Instead, I used garlic, lemon thyme and parsley. It seemed more summery to me having those lighter cooler flavors than a warm curry spice. It was a good call I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment