Monday, February 15, 2010

Homemade Granola

This recipe was so easy, and by far the best granola I have ever had! I have been reading about this amazing bakery in Red Hook, Brooklyn called "Baked" for a while now. I decided to get their cookbook at the local library and I think I may just have to buy this one. I love cooking, but I have really taken to baking lately. Just in the past 2 days I have made macaroons (with egg whites), lemon bars (with the egg yolks), and this granola. I am tempted to make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies before the night is over as well. Keep your eyes peeled for more!

Easy Homemade Granola
Recipe adapted from, Baked, New Frontiers in Baking

2 cups roled oats
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tb vegetable oil (I used grapeseed oil)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole almonds (I used sliced)
1/3 cup raw cashews (or any nut you like)
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup dried apricots (chopped)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, toss the oats and flax seeds with the cinnamon and salt.
In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla. Wisk until combined.

Pour the honey mixture over the oats mixture and use your hands (A spoon was fine for me) to combine them until all the oats are coated with the honey mixture.

Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet. Spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for texture.

Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and flip the granola over with a metal spatula. Sprinkle the almonds over the granola and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
Remove from the oven and flip over again and sprinkle the cashews over the granola and return the baking sheet to the oven.

Bake for 10 minutes, then reomve from the oven. Let cool completely. Sprinkle with dried fruit and store it in an airtight container. It will keep for one week.

Serve with milk or yogurt and fresh fruit if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment