Monday, October 19, 2009

Corn and Sweet Potato Chowder

Out of my 35 cook books I have been collecting over the years, I decided to pull out one of my favorites; Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons. I wrote down every dish that I wanted to make in the next few months. I came up with 20 recipes! I LOVE this cookbook. Tonight I made a delicious corn and sweet potato chowder. Though I thought this was tasty, I think tomorrow it will be even better. I think it needed a bit of salt and possibly a little more spice, maybe thyme, or even a touch of ginger actually. Please let me know if you come up with a new addition for this hearty chowder.

Corn and Sweet Potato Chowder
Recipe by Vegetarian Planet, by Didi Emmons
2 Tb. butter
1 Tb. olive oil
2 cups onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
2 1/2 Tb. unbleached white flour
6 cups whole or low fat milk
3 corn tortillas, cut into small pieces
2 cups corn (shaved from 3 ears preferably) and the shaved cobs
1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
1 tsp. salt
fresh pepper to taste
squeeze of lime
2 Tb. chopped cilantro (optional)

In a stockpot or large saucepan, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, cumin, and paprika. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the flour and stirring constantly with a whisk, cook for 30 seconds. Slowly add the milk, 1/2 cup at a time, while continuing to stir with a whisk so the flour doesn't lump. Add the tortillas, the shaved cobs, and the sweet potatoes, and simmer the mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.

Add the corn kernels, and let the soup simmer 2 minutes more. Add the salt, pepper, and lime. Remove the shaved cobs, then ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle it with cilantro, if you like.

Serves 4 large bowls

No comments:

Post a Comment