Friday, October 9, 2009

Mamma's Veggie "Meat"loaf

OK, though I don't eat red meat now, I did as a kid. Like most Americans, I still have fond memories of my Mom's meatloaf. I wanted to find a way to get a similar texture and flavor, but with out the meat. Through the use of lentils and oats and lots of seasoning, I think I got this one down. I have made this countless times for Owen (it's his favorite meal), and make it slightly different each time. I think tonight, I got the right amount of all the ingredients and the texture turned out perfect! Now I hope my memory doesn't fail me and I can write this down exactly how I made it.

I used to make this in one regular sized loaf pan, but tonight, I got the idea of making individual servings in muffin tins instead. It cut down on the cooking time and turned out great! This made 14 mini loaves, so there is plenty of left overs and some for freezing when you need a break in the kitchen one night!

Mamma's "Meat"loaf
1 1/4 cups lentils
2 1/2 cups water, veggie and or chicken broth
1 small onion, finely chopped in the food processor
1 carrot, finely chopped in the food processor
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup quick steel cut oats
1/3 cup cooked cous cous (millet, rice or quinoa would probably work fine as well)
3/4 cup grated cheese (mozzarella, pepper jack, Swiss, cheddar)
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup jarred chunky spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt (I use Emeril's Essence)
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce

Heat oven to 350

Rinse lentils and take out any stones you might find. In a medium sauce pan, heat the water or broth and lentils to a boil. Place a lid on the pot and turn down heat to a simmer for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft. Drain any excess water and partially mash lentils with a potato masher and set aside.

While lentils are cooking make cous cous according to the box. Alternatively, if you have any left over grains in your fridge, just use a 1/3 cup of that instead.

In a food processor, pulse onion, garlic and carrot until finely chopped. Put 1 Tb. oil in a skillet and saute the mixture until soft (about 5-7 minutes). In a large bowl, mix the onion mixture, oats, cous cous and the lentils until slightly cool. Add the eggs, cheese, spaghetti sauce, garlic powder, basil, parsley, worcestershire and seasoning salt. Mix until combined.

Lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and fill each cup to the top with the mixture. Cook for 20 minutes and take out of the oven, making sure the top is firm and slightly brown. Evenly spread a dollop of ketchup on top of each mini loaf and place back in the oven for another 5 minutes. When done, let cool for a few minutes, take out and serve with a side of steamed veggies or better yet, homemade mashed potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment